Charles - Charlotte, Vermont
Themes: sports

This year I decided to go to a snowboard school. It was a big step for me and my family and me because the school term is five months long. The longest I had ever been away from home by myself was one week, so this was kind of a big deal for me.

When I got to the school, the first week was really hectic. I had no clue what my new teachers would be like. The first week was hard for me, because I had more homework in a week than I had in a month at my old school.

This is how the school works: you have school for a half a day, and then when school is done, you get into your snowboard stuff and head to the mountain. And for snowboarding, Tuesday is the first day of the week to go training. So when Tuesday came I was extremely excited. The coaches are really cool. They really know how to give kids trick tips. In the first two days of riding with the coaches, I learned at least five new tricks. For two weeks we trained in the rail park because the big park was not up yet. You probably could have guessed that snowboarding is the best part. Well it is, because you get to ride when your friends are still in school. Over the time that I have been here I have learned more than I did all last year. The first day in the pipe, I was throwin’ down (doing) all the tricks in my bag (all the tricks I can do). The next day there was a pipe competition and I won it. I was so happy

My teachers are really cool too. Sometimes they let me out of class 30 minutes early! I was so psyched about that because my old teachers would never do that even for a million dollars. The only bad part about it is the homework. My math teacher and my social studies teacher load up my backpack with homework. And the worst part about it is that they are married. But I always get the homework done in the night study hall, so it is all good.

Finally the big park was up and now our team is riding in that. I started to do tricks right off the bat. Like FS (frontside) 540s and I even corked them out (partially inverted). I think that park is not my thing, I think halfpipe is. In park I am really nervous. But in halfpipe, I am not nervous at all.

For my goals of life I want to go pro in halfpipe. I already have sponsors so I am halfway there. I am also the 11th best halfpipe rider in the United States so I am pretty stoked (happy) on that. Snowboarding is a huge part of my life. That is the only reason I went to this school. And it is really expensive. That’s how much I want to go pro.