Harry - Jacksonville, Florida
Age Group: 65+

Always there …

When the plowman rose to greet the Massachusetts morning, a Minuteman stood, huddled against the nor’east wind, and whispered softly, “fear not the Redcoats, I’m on guard.”

When the fisherman climbed from his bunk and began to make away from the Louisiana shore, a Bluecoat stood, braced against the morning chill, and whispered softly, “fear not the marauding pirates, I’m on guard.”

When the farmer rose to tend his stock as dawn broke over the prairie, a Cavalryman stroked his mare and whispered softly, “fear not for your safety, I’m on guard.”

When the world watched in horror as poison gasses killed our allies in their trenches, a doughboy whispered softly to his family, as he boarded the troop train, “fear not the Huns, I’m on guard.”

When Aunt Rachel died walking the beach at Waikiki, one “peaceful” December morning, her Marine Corps son whispered softly to his heart-broken father, “fear not the Japs, Dad , I’m on guard.”

When rockets rained down on London, a B-17 pilot whispered softly to his new English bride, “fear not the Germans on your soil, my love, I’m on guard.”

When a wall was built around Berlin, and the Soviet threat was seen off the Florida shores, a sailor kissed his daughter goodby at the wharf, and whispered, “fear not the Russian bear, sweetheart, Daddy’s on guard.”

When the “rice bowl” of Asia, the oil fields of Kuwait, the gates of the Persian Gulf, and the mountains of Afghanistan were in jeopardy, again, they stood, and proudly said, “fear not, we’re on guard.”

When our homeland saw terrorist attacks, natural disasters, and internal strife, there has always been someone wearing our Nation’s uniform to reassure Americans, “fear not, I’m on guard.”

And …

When I rise to greet tomorrow’s morning and gather the daily newspaper, somewhere near … just out of my sight … huddled against the morning chill … I’ll swear I hear some Soldier, Sailor, Marine, or Airman whisper to me, “fear not, I’m still on guard.”

And … as I do each morning, as I gather the daily newspaper, I’ll whisper my simple,

“Thank you, I know you’re always there.”