Christine - Belleville, New Jersey
Themes: purpose

Sometimes I ask myself why certain things happen. I wonder things like “Why do bad things happen to good people?” “Why is there global warming?” “Why couldn’t the snow storm come yesterday when I had that Chemistry test?” Recently, I have come to the frightening conclusion that whatever happens in life doesn’t happen by chance or by the random occurrences in the stars. I’ve realized that God uses everyone and everything that happens in our lives, both good and bad, to help shape our characters. Everything happens for a reason – this I truly believe.

Most of the problems I face are those tiny ones that happen in school or at home. I stress over the work I have to do for my classes and the little amount of time to do anything else. I fight with my little sister a lot. I’ve dealt with a couple of deaths in my family and the hardships of my parents being divorced and having to split my sister and me up all the time.

My most difficult problem has always been my fear of taking risks, my fear of any chance of rejection, humiliation, or failure. For most of my life, I’ve simply kept to myself. It always seemed better to me to hide in my invisible bubble. However, lately that hasn’t been as much of a problem anymore. I’ve started to open up to people and show others the kind of person that I can be, the person I feel that God wants me to be.

Every single thing that has happened to me, every single problem I’ve faced, every stab of rejection and failure and discontentment I’ve felt were all a part of God’s wonderful plan in my life. God purposely let all those things happen to me. It may have been to teach me a lesson, to make me stronger, or to shape my character and make me a better person.

Life is full of uncertain mysteries, but the one thing I can be sure of, other than death, is that God has everything planned out for me, that although I know I’ll go through tough times, I’ll come out better in the end. Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, right?