daryn - Oakland, California

I believe that it’s a gift to give help to another person. This belief was recently deepened by two ladies who approached me in need. Neither of the ladies who approached spoke english very well, but easily communicated they were needing help to charge the dead battery of their car. I’ll admit, as someone who lives in an urban area, my first thought was, “oh, what now.” When I realized their situation I thought, “oh good, today I get to give help rather than ask for it.” I could relate to being broken down either in my car or in my life and relying on the kindness of strangers. Today I was one of those well-meaning strangers. This seemed quite natural to me until I watched as the ladies asked others for help and were turned down by polite person after polite person. How did helping another person become a bother rather than a blessing? I’m certain that I’m here at this point in my life ready to help (on a good day) because I have gratitude for those moments when I needed the world to hold me or lend me a hand along the way. Because of the help that was given me, I now get to be the helper.