Julieanne - United Kingdom

I believe the ‘traditional´ woman has been forgotten and devalued after the feminist movement. I am not denying the good that this movement has brought into being, in regards to women’s rights, but I am saying that there is increasing pressure for a woman who does not have children to become a woman with a career and place her home in second priority.

Nowadays it seems that women are expected to behave like men. Women that believe they should be at home supporting their husbands and creating a home are left feeling inadequate unless they are bringing up children as well or behaving like a ‘supermum’. And as for the woman who does not have children, but wants to remain a homemaker, it seems that her dream of a happy fulfilled life has become completely unjustifiable.

Do we really have so much to prove? Marriages and families are crumbling at an alarming rate as we deprioritise our homes. Mothers have no time to be with their children and fathers are left coming home to a cold house and ordering in whilst being denied a good home cooked meal.

Our children are confused and seem to be becoming more of an accessory or status symbol as we try to beat each other into the best schools, take the most exotic vacations and participate in the most extra curricular activities. This unsustainable vision of womanhood leaves us running around using all our spare time getting our children from one activity to the next. Not only that but we are expected to keep a job, hold a relationship together, run a home and remain our good old fashioned feminine selves. And then we are left wondering why we never catch that ever elusive ‘me time’.

I believe women today are missing the journey of parenthood by being so focused on the destination. Our children are screaming out for us and we are choosing not to be there for them. Our husbands are yearning to have their wives back.

It may well be time to throw our focus back at our families. Yes, we may have to earn less money. Yes, our children may have to do with less than they are used to; but the rewards of motherhood should be so much more than supply and demand.

Could it be that the feminist movement has inadvertently returned us to the Freudian outlooks on the place of women in society? Freud believed that a woman seeks to claim her masculinity in one or more of three ways. These being that she becomes either inhibited, has children, or becomes man-like.

Wouldn’t it be a shame if women had unintentionally lived up to the theories of quite possibly the greatest anti-feminist ever published?