Thomas - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe in pushing one or pushing another to complete goals. But as the amount of pushing increases, the task becomes more difficult to proceed with. Too much pushing will make the objective seem less and less possible to accomplish, primarily that of negative pushing.

When one pushes another too hard, and gives consequences that are sometimes unreasonable, then that person loses a little bit of faith towards the objective and loses a little bit of self esteem as well. When I was young, I was taught that when pushing occurs on the playground, that pushing evolves into shoving, which evolves into other forms of violence, in which someone always ends up getting hurt. I feel that I have been the person that is hurt.

I recently have had a very close friend move away. This has made it very hard for me to do any activities, and therefore hard for me to work on accomplishing my personal goals. This person is one of the few people that I could actually call a friend. So it is very stressful, and it adds a lot to the amount of stress that I already have.

Ever since I was young, it has been hard for me to make friends, or even talk to people. I usually feel antisocial and I do not want to be like that. This may be part of having attention deficit disorder, which is also very hard to overcome. It sometimes feels like I can not do anything right, and that my ADD makes me put away from other people. And this is very stressful for me. But I feel that the real problem that is keeping me from pushing myself to solve my own goals for myself is the way that my parents are pushing me.

My parents create rules such as “No PG-13 movies unless we approve,” or “No computer, TV, or video games unless all your grades are above a B,” and the best of all, “You can’t get your drivers license until you finish your Eagle Scout,” even though I am a far way off from my Eagle, and my 16th birthday is this February.

I am not saying that all of this is a result of my parents pushing me to what I feel is too much, but also that I have not stepped up and taken charge of my life.

You have brains in your head

You have feed in your shoes

You can steer yourself

Any direction you choose.

You’re on your own. And you know what you know

And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.

(Oh, the Places You’ll Go, Dr. Seuss, page 2)

I was given this book in 8th grade by my parents. I feel that I know what it means, and I hope they will also and release my from these binds that hold me down and let me go out and face the world.