Makenzi - Mechanicsville, Virginia

I’m 17 years old, and I have everything I could possibly ask for: warm shelter, a loving family that I care for more than anything, my own car, a big screen TV in my room along with a DVD player, and any game station system you could think of. For Christmas, I didn’t even know what to ask for because I had everything I needed already. And I will admit that I am a spoiled 17 year old girl.

My family and I decided it was time to stop giving to me and my older brother so much, and give to someone else during Christmas. We found a family in a program close to my home that was less fortunate than others, and who couldn’t afford to buy their children what they wanted. My mother called the mother to find out more about the family. The mother was in shock. She had no idea that this program even existed; nevertheless that someone suggested her family for it.

My mom was on the phone with her for a while and after hanging up I asked what their situation was. She has two beautiful children, a boy and a girl, one is 6 and the other is 4.Her husband left her and their two children behind, taking everything he wanted in the trunk of his car; and never looking back.

The mother of the two children was still a little distant, and felt that she shouldn’t take the offer. She felt that she should be able to do it herself, but everyone needs a little help sometimes. Finally she named things the children would want, and refused to ask for anything that would be for her. My family and I made a hay day out of it: remote control cars, Polly Pockets, and DVDs galore.

We ended up meeting up with the mother and gave her the boxes full of fun. She looked so happy. I would have given anything to see her children’s faces on Christmas morning. She ended up calling us the day after Christmas to thank us for everything we had done and to even thank us for the few things we got her. She said it was the best Christmas they had ever had.

I believe that giving to someone always gives something back; something that you can’t buy, but something that grows in your heart.