I believe that life is beautiful.

Leah - Villa Hills, Kentucky

I had a great deal of trouble deciding what to write about for this essay because unquestioning belief is something that I have trouble attaining. I am so indecisive that I have caused myself too much unnecessary stress and worry. I am always wavering and questioning my fundamental principals of life. This obviously can shake the core of my beliefs and throws me into relentless turmoil until I decide what I think is true. Throughout all of this fickle wandering one thing has kept me sane, the beauty of life.

Even as a child I remember staring out the windows of my school bus at the passing trees with wonder and imagined stories. Now I am still amazed by the brilliance that surrounds me. I will never forget the canyons I saw in Utah where a person seemingly disappeared into the massive chunks of land, the time it rained and froze, encasing everything in a layer of ice, or watching a Broadway musical where the actress belted her song with so much passion that it gave me shivers and tears. Even though these things were awe-inspiring, it is the everyday wonders that sustain me.

It is amazing to be able to stop whatever is going on and look at a piece of beauty. Twinkling frost on a cold morning, the long shadows created by a low sun, and even a simple smile can make me forget about whatever is worrying me at the time.

Because of my attraction to everyday splendor, I have taken up photography. Even though I love to show off my work, I really like it because it forces me to search for beauty. I have become somewhat obsessed, but I enjoy it so much that I could take pictures for hours and never be bored. It distracts me from any anxiety and helps me to find answers to my questions. Luckily, even when I am unable to take pictures I can turn to music, theatre, or my close friends to find the beauty I long for.

I don’t know how long I will be here, I don’t know what will happen after I am gone, I don’t know who I will be lead to, I don’t really know anything. The one thing that I am sure of is that as long as I am alive the beauty of everyday will never cease to amaze me.