Molehill or Mountain?

Michael - Conway, South Carolina
Themes: nature

I believe in connecting with nature. The earth has always been, and will always be, part of a person’s life. I see people connect less and less with nature through the generations. Many of my own generation of apathetic MTV addicted vegetables couldn’t tell you if the sun rises in the east or the west, but they can tell you all about the great uses of Aderol. I wonder, have they ever even seen a sunrise?

This question came to me one night as I lay in bed. I had seen a sunrise, but I don’t ever remember anything special about it. Do others see something else in it? If I saw it again, would this time be any different? I decided that I was going to wake up the next morning to see it again. The alarm awoke me to a faint lucence on the eastern horizon. I waited to see a magnitude of colors. As the glow grew stronger, my senses heightened. When I saw the top of the sun peek over the horizon, it hit me. This is the same sun that life has watched rise and set every day for organismal existence. This is the same sun that Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr., Abraham Lincoln, James Jones, Hitler, Muhammad, Jesus, Buddha, Haile Selassie, and Ardipithecus ramidus kadabba (the earliest humanoid ever found, estimated age of bones is 5.5 million years) saw rise and lived under their entire lives. It felt like such a primal experience, like I could have been any person in human existence. I knew other people were staring at that same sun at this very time. I felt I connected with my fellow Homo sapiens, connected with nature, and connected with life.

This sun saw eons of molecular stagnance and saw the evolution from single cells to complex beings. Every organism on earth has been under that same sun. That sun was here long before Earth, and will be here long after Earth. I see comfort in this consistency.

After my connection with the sun that morning, I made a promise to nature, and to myself, that I would watch the sun rise as much as possible so I could connect with nature. The experience never gets old, and it actually seems more enjoyable the more I see the sun rise. I believe in connecting with nature. I think it brings you back to the human reality and away from the day to day reality. It puts your existence into perspective. Maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but mountains have to start somewhere don’t they?