Loretta - Denver, Colorado

I believe in the gentle people___________

Recently, I overheard my daughter admonishing her three year old son

to be gentle with his ten month old baby sister. I watched as he gently

patted her head and kissed her on the forehead.

As a young girl growing up on a farm in rural Colorado, I watched as

strong, weather worn farmers, would care for sick and injured animals, gently

tending to their needs whether it was 90 degrees above zero or 20 degrees below.

As a young nurse, I assisted a young mother as she held and gently rocked her four pound, stillborn, baby boy, stroking his head and telling him she would miss him and

she was glad he was not suffering.

Working as a school nurse over the past several years, I had the privilege of bearing witness to many teachers and administrators who would gently take into their loving hands the faces of anxious, hungry and distraught children, drying their tears, giving them food for their hungry tummies and information for their open and inquisitive minds.

Spending many of my sixty five years working with the fragile people in our population, I would watch as dedicated, tired and often overworked colleagues would patiently and

gently spend time calming, clothing, feeding and housing frightened and abused people

in need.

Four years ago, I was awakened from a medically induced sleep by a gentle clear voice,

saying, “Mrs. Warren it was a malignant tumor. We removed all that we could. I am feeling optimistic about your prognosis”. As I lay there in my hospital bed, I noticed the

strong, gentle, hands that had so thoroughly and gently searched the entire inside of my body. Focusing on those gentle hands, helped to alleviate my fears.

As I enter the autumn of my life, I have become so much more aware of the important part gentleness plays in a civil society. A civilization’s longevity is indeed directly connected to the gentleness of its people. It is only as we individually and collectively claim and reclaim our gentleness and live as though, “the meek shall inherit the earth” that our malignant fears will abate.