The Nature of Organic Foods

Oliver - Salt Lake City, Utah
Themes: nature

I believe in organic foods. I learned this from eating them most of my life.

Every since I was able to understand what food was, it has always been organic. My father and mother have persuaded me that the only good way to eat is by only eating the freshest foods possible.

On my father’s side growing up, his mother had always fed him the cheapest and usually not so healthy food. This was because his family was not very well off financially, and food was not a big priority health wise. My mother grew up differently. Her parents gave her the freshest foods possible, for instance growing most of their vegetables from an organic garden.

As my parents grew up and going through college, I think something clicked in their minds that eating healthy was the right way to go. They started eating organic foods because they liked the idea that synthetic pesticides or chemical testing was not used on the food.

When I first started eating organic foods I thought nothing of it. But as I grew up I realized that there were tastier foods that the organic foods could not offer. I discovered McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Taco Bell and many other delicious but unhealthy places. Also the lunches that my friends brought to school had cookies, chips, and sweets. Their lunches always looked better then mine. I always had a healthy lunch. I would have organic fruits, organic carrots, and organic peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I grew sick of just eating healthy. I wanted all the food that my friends had. So I tried to persuade my parents to buy food other then the healthy kind. They finally caved in a little bit by buying sweets, but that was pretty much it.

As I entered High School it came back to me, the unhealthier the food is, the better it will probably taste. I was invited to a whole new world of food; it was not like middle school where you brought a home lunch every day, you could buy anything you wanted. Freshman year I told my parents that I wanted to buy school lunch because no one brought a home lunch to High School. They let me buy school lunch twice a week. I then started to get little pimples and had less energy. I then realized that not only were my parents trying to feed me healthy foods, but that they were feeding this ‘organic food’ to make me live a healthier life with out the pesticides and chemicals.

I believe that when eating right your life changes in ways that will keep you healthy and allow you to do things that could not be done eating unhealthy foods.

So, thank you to my parents for pushing me to eat the best I can and for giving me the opportunity to eat foods that are organic. Also for teaching me why I should eat and buy organic foods over the non organic foods.