THIS I BELIEVE….. “Living Little”

Kim - Eugne, Oregon

Last month my husband and I sold our 3100 sq ft house in Dallas TX and along with our two large dogs, relocated to Eugene, Oregon, into a 1416 sq ft home. Although the first two weeks we found ourselves a bit verklempt, inevitably we would find the humor in our shoe-horned situation and erupt into laughter, almost daily.

The same money in Texas buys half the home here. But you know, it’s a blessing. We are cozier, less concerned about our yard, because – well, we have none. Living Little has enabled me to appreciate the everyday, heightened awareness of the little things and it has stimulated my brain to solve space problems with the ingenuity of a pack rat. Small shelves can go anywhere and hooks ARE appearing everywhere in our little home. There is no wasted space here.

Living Little has caused me to examine many things. Not the least of which is the vast wealth we have in this country. In Texas at least, it was Big Bidness, Big Government, Big Growth. Leading to 4000 square foot homes then 10,000 and more.

In 1947 Bill Levitt created Levitttown in New York state – one of the first track home subdivisions in the U.S. The most popular was a two bedroom, one bath ranch style which sold for $7,990. All a prospective buyer needed was a $90 deposit and payments of $58 per month. Think what $58 a month can buy you today. It MIGHT pay the water bill. And let’s not even think about only one bathroom for a family. Who does that anymore?

I believe that we have, over the years, been brainwashed to want more, do more, have more. More is indeed a 4 letter word. But then so is Less. It is the dualism that is the hallmark of our society.

For me, Living Little is rewarding. Julie Daniel, who owns BRING RECYCLING company here in Eugene made has made the point that when we Live Large, every time we redecorate or remodel, what is put into the landfill is gonna be a whole lot more coming from a 5000 sq ft home than say a 1400 sq ft home. That never dawned on me until she spoke the obvious.

I believe we can make it chic to begin Living Little. Forget the planet just for a moment. It would bring kids in closer proximity to their parents, partner closer to partner, neighbor to neighbor. And what if that closeness, that necessity to communicate amongst one another could translate to better communication country to country? What if this change from Living Large to Living Little could ultimately have a positive effect on international relations? Then instead of feeling so helpless and divided we could begin to bring the world together.

My husband is looking for a larger home. Every week he drives neighborhoods and brings home flyers like a cat brings half a rabbit, as a gift. But I don’t know. I kinda like this Living Little.