Do Yeon - Bloomington, Indiana

I sometimes try remembering the past when I had hard time learning English in the United States. Learning English was like torture to me during those days. Without any experience at American school, I had to listen to what my teachers said, which sounded like a bee buzzing in my ears. Also, I, a talkative girl, could not even express my feelings and thoughts to my friends and teachers. However, I was greatly encouraged by a precious proverb: “The heaven helps those who help themselves.”

It was in the hot, sweaty summer, 2006 when I came to the United States. Going to the United States sounded pretty exciting, but scary, too. When I took my first step toward American society at the airport, I became seriously nervous. I asked myself whether I would be able to get accustomed to America or not. Also, I considered my life in America as an excellent chance to improve my knowledge and skills of English.

I can still clearly remember the first day of school in the United States. As I walked into the hallway filled with the American students, I shivered and shuddered. At that moment, I thought of the door to the classroom as one to the hell. I looked like a criminal going into hell and waiting for Last Judgment. Of course, I could not understand anything on paper and what my teacher talked about. All of sudden, my eyes went blind and my ears became deaf. On the way home, my steps were heavy as huge rocks. I felt as if I would never improve my English skills. Also, I could feel the wet tears coming out from my eyes. I got so frustrated as if the world was going to end in several minutes.

As soon as I came home, I told my mom about what happened at the school. After listening to my story, my mom encouraged me with the meaningful proverb – “The heaven helps those who help themselves.” I became ashamed by myself, who was accusing my poor ability in English, without even trying hard to learn English.

From that time, whenever I studied English and get frustrated, I always keep this proverb in mind. Like a strong column that supports an almost broken building, this instructive proverb has reminded of the meaning of sweat. The harder I study English, the more the heaven gives me in the knowledge and skills of English. My English has improved dramatically.

Many people have goals in their lives. Firm will and continuous efforts are required to achieve the goals. Those who dream of success in life should not look forward to seeing early results because it will take much time and many efforts to produce great results. Accordingly, they should make continuous efforts to realize their goals, believing in the truth. The heaven never disappoint those who help themselves.