Justin - Moraga, California

I believe in a place, a state of mind, a time in which a person may enter where nothing goes wrong and one’s maximum potential is fulfilled. Where mind, body, and soul work like clockwork for a special amount of time to effortlessly produce one’s best possible product. People may recall this day in their lives as “the day where everything went my way”. Athletes, writers, programmers, composers, and performers generally call this extraordinary state “the zone.” Having been fortunate enough to have entered this mystical state in various areas of work, “the zone” is more to me than a state of mind; rather it is an essential ingredient to a fulfilling life.

“The zone” is a time where everything goes right and nothing goes wrong. It is a place where the laws of the physical universe disappear and you temporarily become more than man, you become godly. It is a feeling of being so wired into a task at hand, nothing else around matters. Sports are quintessentially mentioned when thinking of “the zone”. As a soccer player I’ve experienced this phenomenon. I feel euphoria, yet a strange calmness. I feel I could run for days and that I am ultimately the best player everyone on the field has ever set eyes on. Though this may not be the case, it feels good anyway. Every move, touch, and pass feels perfect and effortless. I couldn’t care less who’s watching, what’s for dinner, or if superstar Ronaldo is on the other team. The strangest feeling is that my mind feels as if it is on autopilot. No thinking, just the mind and body acting upon instinct. Almost as gratifying as the experience itself is the result of being in “the zone”. Though playing a perfect soccer game is not achievable, you get very close coming out of the zone. Afterwards however, I don’t recall the game very much, just strange waves of feeling amazing. Writing works and even music brings about a similar experience. Words or notes flow from the brain, to the pen, and onto the paper and work out brilliantly. Ideas are popping into the brain nonstop. I look at the clock and its five. I finish what I consider to be a great paper, turn to the clock and realize its seven when that entire process felt like ten minutes. The “zone” is truly a mysterious, fantastic phenomenon; it’s a shame we can’t all tune in whenever we want.

Entering “the zone” for me consists of confidence, focus, enjoyment, happy thinking, and composure. Out of it comes pleasure, a feeling of great accomplishment, and overall feeling of being awesome. This I believe: inside and out, being in this mystical “zone” is one of the most enhancing experiences there is in life. Don’t take my word for it, try it sometime.