Megan - Des Plaines, Illinois
Themes: courage

I believe in crossing the line, in jumping over the edge and making mistakes. I have found that one of the best ways to cross that line is to play Truth or Dare. Although this is a child’s game, it teaches people how far they are willing to push themselves. I remember crossing that edge, and making one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

It was still warm outside when I headed over to my friend Nicole’s house. My friends and I go there often to hang out, play billiards and just be kids. In being the kids that we are, we decided to play Truth or Dare. We had played the game dozens of times before this and knew each other really well, almost too well. My friend Rob was making up some random dares and asked me the horrific question, “Truth or Dare?” I wasn’t too sure, but bucked-up and said “Dare”. Rob smiled sheepishly and said the one dare I didn’t want to hear, “Kiss me”. Now, I had a boyfriend at the time and was completely happy, with no reason to do this, but I did it anyway. I knew that by kissing him I would risk losing one of the best relationships of my life, however I am also not the kind of person to be called a chicken and just let the dare get passed to the next person.

We went out to the porch and what I thought was going to be a simple kiss, turned into a five minute make out session with one of my best friends. I felt absolutely horrible but after about five minutes of sulking I realized that telling my boyfriend would be the hardest part. He had trusted me and I took that from him.

After telling him what had happened between Rob and me, he couldn’t say anything. Complete silence filled my ears as tears filled my eyes. I thought it was the end, that he would never forgive me and leave me to fend for myself. I would lose the love of my life, my friend, my confidant, and my protector.

He spoke after a long silence and told me he would give me a second chance. As he had put it, Truth or Dare was just a silly game that made people jump out of their comfort zone and do the unthinkable. I took a deep breath and relaxed. I know now that the trust I lost from him I may never get back, but I learned from my mistake. It’s not always about crossing the line, it’s more then that. It’s who you could hurt when running over that makes it dangerous.