Jordan - Des Plaines, Illinois
Themes: sports

“If one door opens to another door closed, I hope you keep on searching ‘til you find a window”. Although this is just a line from a song, I honestly hold it to heart. I believe in closing doors and opening windows, in leaving old experiences behind and taking new chances.

Ever since I can remember I played basketball competitively. I never got hurt other than a few scrapes and bruises and I had never missed a game. My grandpa would always take me to watch high school basketball games and I would imagine myself playing on the big court with screaming fans and hearing my name over the speakers every time I made a basket. I never even thought of trying a different sport, it was strictly basketball. I spent the whole summer prior to freshman year practicing and I was ecstatic for the season. As the warm air faded and basketball season approached I grew more and more excited. The end of the day bell rang and I rushed to try-outs. During a scrimmage at try-outs my worst nightmare happened. I attempted to block another girl going up for a shot and when we came down she landed right on my left knee. I immediately hit the ground and began to panic. Right then it hit me that I would never be the same basketball player I once was, I had destroyed my kneecap. My door closed in a sudden moment, my door that was supposed to lead me to play varsity basketball on the big court with the cheering fans. Luckily, I was able to play the last three games of the season after hours on end of physical therapy and pain. I consider my ability to work through so much pain and suffering my other door opening. This was the door that opened my eyes to change, surprises and unpredictable fate. It showed me that life knocks you down and you have to fight to get back up. I played 2 minutes and 32 seconds that season; my first, my last and only season.

After a lot of mourning that I would never be able to play basketball again, I thought that I should try a different sport. The problem was that I never even tried at other sports because I was so involved with basketball. I searched the school for new things to try that I thought I had a chance at making; finally, I found one. Golf. I had never golfed in my life, I had never swung a club, I had never even been to a golf course. Along with a few friends we decided to try out for the team. And surprisingly I found my window. I ended up making varsity the first time I swung a club. I played on the varsity team for three years, and was one of the top players in the conference. Never in my life had I thought of golfing, never the less being good at it. Behind all the hurt of not being able to compete in the sport that I once loved, I now grew to love something different, even more than basketball.

I truly believe in closing doors and opening windows. I believe that terrible, unexpected things only happen to show you who you really are and who you are meant to be. I lost my dreams of playing varsity basketball but found something that made me much happier, I just had to search for it.