Destiny - Tacoma, Washington

Most people when they hear the word beauty think glitz, glamour, makeup, hair, “do I look fat”, or “does this look cool”. To me beauty is intelligence, education, love, passion and respect. I believe beauty is more than skin deep.

About 4 years ago I was in Elementary School. Being an only child with curly hair nobody understood me. Everybody thought I was “different” because I looked different and I was heavier than everybody else. I was also not as cute as the other girls. It really hurt me that they wouldn’t give me a chance, yet now I’ve grown to make it a belief that I won’t hurt people like they’ve hurt me. It’s the old saying,” Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.”

It’s been 4 years since Elementary School and still in High School I see this Elementary rule go to waste. As I see it nobody would understand the pain unless it has happened to you. Being a High School student I have learned that beauty and status are big things. I’ve learned that the so called “beautiful people” get all the attention, friends and the higher social status. They don’t get picked on, or laughed at because of what they look like. Yes, I have friends that like me for me, not for my beauty.

Most people don’t understand a girl like me because I hang out with people that may not be as pretty on the outside but are the prettiest people from the inside. The “beautiful people” would rather go hang with people that are exactly like them. From what I see they don’t seem to have friendships that last as long. I mean I have had a friendship with someone for 5 years. No makeup, messed hair and all we have been the best of friends.

It’s not like I don’t take care of myself. I shower, brush my teeth and have clean clothes like the next person. I’m not trying to impress anybody with my clothes, or my perfect hair though. I would rather amaze them with a sparkling personality, or my intelligence.

Sometimes I would think that those people who judged people are worse people. They are not, I found that they are different. I was not the different one they were. If I try to talk to them and they judge me from what I look like, why am I feeling sorry for them? So, I stopped trying. It’s not like I’m doing the same thing, they are. So as I write this I’ve basically took you past what I look like to who I am. You have gone beyond the skin to see me.