david - winfield, Illinois
Themes: respect

Talking to the eyes

I believe in the power of words, better yet, I believe in talking to someone face to face. To me that is a sign of respect, and shows me that even if you are saying something bad about someone you are man enough to say it their face. The problem with this though (especially in high school) is that this never really happens. Someone will say something bad about someone and then that person will hear it, and then say something twice as bad back. To me maturity comes when someone has an opinion on something and they say it to another persons’ face. Being the bigger person is a hard thing to do.

The start to my senior year was shaping up to be one to remember. I had unbelievable friends, the basketball team, and an amazing girlfriend. Everything was great, and I couldn’t have been happier. As the year went on I started to spend more and more time with my girlfriend and less time with my friends. I thought everything was normal with my friends and that they understood me hanging out with my girlfriend, I was wrong. Through rumors and twists that high school throws you, I heard that some of my best friends had started to say some pretty nasty things about me. Although this hurt, it wasn’t what bothered me. It was that they were saying everything through a middle man and nothing was getting resolved. At first I didn’t know how to repond, and I just let it go. As the days went on, the things that were being said got worse. I had had enough and if someone was going to say something about me, I believe that they should say it to my face and not someone else. So I confronted them. Things didn’t work out the way that I expected them too. We got into and even bigger argument in front of more people. Nothing got resolved and the things that were being said got even worse, but I had said my peace and told him everything that I thought directly to his face. Things were still said behind my back, and we aren’t really friends anymore. Even though it hurts knowing that I lost my friends, its better to find this out now and not in the future.

I’m not a confrontational person. I don’t like to get in fight, and I don’t know how to approach them. The one thing that I don know is this, if you have something to say about someone, give that person the respect they deserve and say it tot their face. If things get worse the person will at least know how you feel, and it will hopefully be over. I don’t like to be talked about in any situation that I don’t have to be in, and I think many other people feel the same way. So give people the respect they deserve. This is why I believe in talking to the eyes.