Naomi - Lake Oswego, Oregon

I Believe in Music

Some people like jazz, others like classical, rock, R&B, pop; but one way or another almost everyone likes music. I believe in the power of music.

I play the viola, an instrument not very many people recognize; but I love the sound of it. The rich mellow tone of it is so sweet and indulgent, like chocolate, you crave it, always wanting more.

I believe that music is one of the best ways to show emotion; being a little shy I’ve never been the best at telling people how I feel. Through the viola I am able to show people how I feel. With the vigor and energy of Mozart, or the sweet serenades of Bach.

You don’t play the instrument, it plays you. It opens you up and exposes your soul for all to see, like a beautiful gem.

I remember the first time I held a viola, the first time I played it. I sounded like a cat being hit by a bus but I didn’t care. I was captivated by how a wooden box and some strings could make such a beautiful sound. I marveled at the smooth, burgundy wood that shone like polished silver.

The first song I ever played was “twinkle, twinkle little star”. I was so proud of myself. I felt like I was some kind of mini Mozart.

Many people like music but not everyone lives music. Music brings us together. I remember once, when I was little I was walking through downtown Portland with my mom. In front of the Macy’s store there was a huge crowd of people. At first we thought there was a sale, but on closer inspection we realized that the crowd was surrounding one guy, strumming a guitar.

He was scruffy and unkempt, and he looked like he hadn’t had a bath in weeks. But no one seemed to mind. They were staring, as if in a trance at this old homeless guy. I was gob smacked. He was amazing!

I kind of feel like I’ve tapped into something bigger than myself. I’m mean, mankind has bee “getting its groove on” since before we had a language practically. I’m definitely not the best there ever was or anything, but you know what? I don’t really care.

Even now I’m listening to Vivaldi, letting the melody carry me far away. To a place where I don’t have a math test tomorrow and I don’t have to pick out an outfit for that party. Because, you see, that is the power of music. As a wise man once said “music is breathing” and I inhale deeply.