Nicole - Des Plaines, Illinois

Nicole Lascelles

I believe in singing

It was cold outside and Maine West Track and Field were at the conference meet. My Cousin was on the Nile North team and my sister and I were on the Maine West team. It was a big deal that we were going to be on opposite teams because my sister, cousin, and I are so close. As a family we did everything together. We play sports, went shopping, and have fun. This was the first time we had to go against each other in a competition. We were rivals now. I had to win. Previous to the meet we were asked to sing the star spangle banner. People could not believe we were on opposite teams and were going to sing together. When we were singing, we were one. No one remembered we were on opposite teams during the anthem. People ignored our team situation, honored our country, and listened to our music.

My mom always told me to “sing my heart out.” Everything inside of me. I should express it and sing out. Singing is my time to break free from stress, pain, DRAMA. People gets distressed and boiled up when they keep it in. I believe that everyone has a voice. A family friend’s son is deaf. People try to communicate with him, but he does not understand them. I saw his pain. I went to the store, bought a sign language book and practiced every night to learn sign language. When I went to church to see him, I signed to him and he was so happy. He had a voice that he had through sign language to speak out. He was able to be himself and show us he was worth something. Everyone has their own voice, even if it’s in a different form.

I believe singing can help change someone’s life and Helps relate to people.

Singing touches people heart. When I was singing in our group at church we were singing about God and all things are possible through him. People were crying because as they heard the music and voices together. They were touched by our voices and lifted up. They related what we were singing to their lives and knew that they should not give up because anything is possible.

What does singing mean to me?

I feel like when I sing it gives me the opportunity to express myself.

Talk to the world like my own telephone

Makes me have a voice

Shows people who I am

Feel like I am breaking free from the stress around me.

Creating unity

Everyone communicates in a different way, singing is special gift that helps me to show who I am to others. This I believe.