Neal - Des Plaines, Illinois
Themes: change

I believe in monsters and ghosts and even the boogie man. Every one of these creatures is represented by people. There are people in the world that can inhibit certain characteristics present in these beings. For example, I believe people can be nasty and disgusting. They can be big and scary. But they are this way because they choose to be so. They choose to act the way they do and nobody can prevent them from doing so. I believe that when people are born they start off with a clean plate and that everyone is born good. They choose their own destiny and that it isn’t chosen by someone else. Their actions throughout their life will determine what kind of person they will turn out to be.

I also believe in seasons. I believe the joyfulness of summer changing to the dampness of autumn. I believe in the coldness of winter fading, giving way to beautiful spring. The seasons change for both the better and the worse, but they always seem to find their way back, like an everlasting cycle. People can change who they are for both the better and the worse as well. But I believe that when people change they always find their way back to the better. I believe that good overcomes evil, and like the seasons, we are constantly changing.

When by brother was about thirteen years old he started experimenting with drugs and stuff. My family didn’t know about it until his addictions got severe and everyday he would wake up with a changed personality. His grades also started to drop. I think that he used drugs because he felt unwanted or felt as though he needed to do it to belong to a certain group. Anyways months passed and we tried to get him some help. We took him to rehab and overall paid more attention to him. In about seven months he started to look better. He was doing much better in school, he was involved in school, and even started to play tennis. I believe that he like everyone has that inner voice or person, whatever you may call it that brought him back from evil to good. I believe that everyone is capable of change, but not everyone has the will or the desire to do so.

I also believe that people aren’t who they think they are and that they are constantly changing. They are changing their beliefs, morals, and goals in life. I believe that some of the values that you had as a kid also hold true when you are sixty. But I also think that people change because of their surroundings and the way their minds get desensitized with the old and their curiosity takes them onto the new.