Julie - Pearl River, New York

I believe that jeans should fit. They should fit everywhere, the butt, the waist and the length. When I go out to by a pair of jeans, they are always too long or too wide; rarely do I find a pair that fits just perfectly. The fashion industry makes jeans to fit a perceived image of the perfect female figure. But I would like to meet one person who has the perfect body naturally. Everyone is individual and has unique features that make him or her different. Just as a pair of jeans that do not fit every body, we are all one of a kind.

Body image in magazines affects our youth everywhere. Whether they react to Kate Moss on the cover of Vogue or the contestants on America’s Next Top Model, teens desire to have that accepted, perfect body. There is one flaw in this system; there is no perfect body. Anorexia plagues many around the world because people are bombarded with the unattainable image. They see skinny models and tiny actresses and these teens try to measure up to Hollywood’s ideal. As a high school student, I see many girls around me who obsess over what they eat or if they gain 5 pounds. If being thin is making headlines in the media, then the world needs to rearrange their priorities.

For once there is a breath of fresh air in the media, Dove’s “Real Beauty” campaign featured normal women of different shapes and sizes recruited in a number of ways; one was even approached on the street. These women are not models, and they range from sizes 4 to 12. These women love who they are, and the do not have a size 0 figure. Girls and women around the world could learn a lesson from these women because they are not afraid to go on national television in their underwear although they do not have the “Barbie like” figures.

While many people worry about their body and health, who defines this? Everyone is unique; whether you are a size 12 or have lots of wrinkles, accept who you are and what you believe in. So, go against the grain and march to the beat of your own drum. God does not make humans with a cookie cutter, and neither should jean companies.