Sarah - Middlefield, Ohio

Acceptance

Sarah Kramer has lived in Middlefield all her life. She attended Parkman Elementary and then moved on to Cardinal Middle and High School. Sarah is currently a junior at Cardinal High School and is also taking a few classes at Kent State. She hopes to finish high school and become a registered nurse someday so she can help people out.

Odetta once said, “The better we feel about ourselves, the fewer times we have to knock somebody else down to feel tall.” When I was in kindergarten, I remember my mom telling me not to worry about what other kids said about me and to just have fun. However, people are very judgmental and often forget things they are told. One day, I wanted to play with someone but another girl told her not to and she proceeded to make fun of me. Although she does not attend this school anymore, many people became afraid of her because she was a bully. Everyone is told, when growing up, that bullies are just insecure people that need a friend. This incident made me realize that I don’t want to be like that girl. I always try to think positively about others, no matter what they did or who they are. I know that I do not enjoy being the one ridiculed from the sidelines.

Everyone that has a younger sibling has worried at least once in their life if they have friends and if anyone picks on them. If it turns out that someone is picking on them, the older sibling’s first reaction is immediate anger towards that person. I often worried about my younger brother when he first began school. The first few days were rough, like they are for many, and like everyone else, he soon made a few friends. Although he has epilepsy, he looks and acts perfectly normal but people still judge him. Once I remember a parent making a rude comment and my mom being very upset by it. This comment may have made the other parent feel better, but it didn’t have any affect on us. In fact, I believe it made us a stronger family all around.

I believe that when people criticize you, it makes you stronger and they only get weaker. Sometimes people ay things they don’t necessarily mean and regret it soon after. By treating others with respect and accepting them for who they are may be the greatest advice anyone could give to someone. By showing your “true colors”, you are able to show people who you really are and if they don’t like you, that is their fault, not yours.