Sarah - West Farmington, Ohio
Themes: work

The A.D.D. strategy

Sarah Motz is a student at Cardinal High School and a member of Ms. Messmer’s English class. She is young writer and high jumper with an optimistic outlook on life who wants to share her belief that life is what your attitude, determination and decisions (A.D.D.) make it.

On the high school roller coaster, I have my best days, my worst days, and everything in between over and over again. How I deal with the ride depends on my attitude. My attitude is the key to my success. I learned that one day when I woke up late, had to drive to school in the snow, failed a first period quiz, and my attitude was not the best. I even turned away from my friends. Things didn’t go too well until I thought about making someone else’s day better than my own. What happened amazed me. When I said hello and smiled at someone else, it actually made my day better and improved my attitude. A good attitude is everything. Without it I would have nothing.

To make my life the best it can be I have to be determined. I have to set goals and take the steps necessary to achieve them. For example, after doing poorly on several math tests, I decided I was going to set the class curve. Determined to accomplish this, I started by diligently doing the tedious homework that was assigned every night and studying old tests. I would spend a lot of time working on review problems in study halls, after school and at home. Eventually the work I invested paid off and I set the curve not once, but twice.

The third part to my strategy for life is to wisely decide what I will do and stick with the plan. These decisions can make or break me, determining my happiness in the future. I must chose to educate myself as best I can so I can finish high school and apply to good colleges to further achieve my goals of having a great career and providing a supportive life for my children.

Using the A.D.D. strategy I will add to my life, set my goals, and insure my future. My attitudes and decisions will help me to set optimistic goals and my determination will help me follow through. Every morning Superchick challenges me “to get up, go through and press on,” with every great chance I have remaining. Every evening Lee Ann Womack reminds me “when I am close to selling out” I should reconsider and I should “never settle for the path of least resistance.”