alexandra - pearl river, New York

I believe in family. Family is the single most important thing in my life. Nothing will ever come before it. I think that if teenagers grow up around a tight and close family, then they themselves will want that for their children and will work hard to achieve it.

My immediate family consists of six people, but everyone who knows me know that I consider my whole extended family as my immediate family. All my life I have been close to all of my first and second cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. If I told people that I only had three siblings, then I would be lying. Everything I do, I do it with them. This might sound hard to believe but I have never gone on a vacation in my whole life with out one of my aunts, uncles, or cousins. Every time we are together, its like we were never apart. Every summer my family and I spend a week at my Aunt Harriet and Uncle Steve’s beach house with their two kids, Kristen and Peter. No matter how many times we see each other throughout the year we still look forward to that one week. In that one-week I would not be able to describe to you how much fun we have. Every day my mom wakes up at 7am and goes down to the beach with 15 beach chairs, to make sure that we get a good spot. You will know when the Lappas family arrives to the beach. We are probably the loudest group of people there with enough food to feed an army and the only ones with more boogie boards than kids. God forbid my dad and uncle don’t get one. At night we have huge mini golf game, usually girls vs. boys, and, of course, the boys get cranky when we girls win, so what’s a good mini golf game with some sibling outbursts?

You could categorize my family as many things- loud, obnoxious, loving, and loud again, but at the end of the day no matter what fights we get into, or how long our separation, I know that my family is always there when I will need them. I hope that some day when I get older and have a family of my own it will be exactly how we are now. You yell at them every other day, you hate them every other minute, but you love them every second of your life.