Caleb - Middlefield, Ohio
Themes: sports, work

Hard Work

Caleb Kruse has grown up in a middle class family for all 17 years of his life. He has not faced an overabundance of challenges, but believes that with a little hard work, anyone can achieve anything. He has overcome diversity through sports and through school and trusts that with determination and dedication he can make his wildest dreams come true.

I have lived my whole life without many trials and tribulations, and for that I am thankful for. The people in my home have surrounded me with love and care, and will me to always be my own person. I have been chosen to be on student council, be a class representative, and within the next year hopefully team captain of the golf and basketball teams.

I began playing organized sports at the age of 5 and have been with different teams and organizations throughout. I played football for a year, soccer for six, baseball for 10, basketball for 12, and I have run track and cross country for several seasons. I currently play golf and basketball and I am on the fence as to whether or not I am going to be playing baseball in the spring.

For the first time in my life I played football my sophomore year. I actually am a very good kicker (and with all of my soccer experience) and with hard work and natural ability became the varsity kicker. I also played cornerback and wide receiver on junior varsity. But on the second to last week of the season I was injured during a Thursday afternoon practice. I played that Friday night in the game and in my JV game that Saturday. The ironic thing about it was I played my best game and intercepted the ball and returned it for a touchdown in our 16-8 victory. I finished out the season and earned my varsity letter, and off to the basketball season I went.

I went to conditioning camp and worked through the pain in my knee. I went home one night and could barely make it up my stairs. So I realized I should schedule a Dr.’s appointment. I went to the doctor’s office and he told me I had torn my meniscus. This would require surgery to take the torn cartilage out.

I tad the surgery on January 18th 2007 and am currently starting varsity on the basketball team. Through hard work and lots of rehab, I have worked my knee into a relatively pain free state. So now when I step onto the court Friday nights I realize that I am right at home and everything will be alright. It’s just going to be another Hard Day’s Night.