Eric - South San Francisco, California

Believing in what is right from wrong through your eyes doesn’t always have to be

right for others. Freedom of speech has allowed our minds to be spoken. The decisions

and actions that we have all made in the past is what has helped shape us into the people

that we are today. Education had taught us to stand up and fight for what we believe in,

allowing us to be able to expand our minds and knowledge of right from wrong.

Schools punish kids for speaking there mind and saying what they believe in. Belief of an individual mind is what causes children to rebel. I have spoken my mind and got in trouble for what I say.

As wrong as profanity is, let alone in presents of a teacher I choose to say what I said in defense of what I believed based on what she asked. We were told to think back to

being born, we were told to express what we thought. For better or worse I chose to say

what I thought was true, I said “coming out ofmy mother’s vagina.” Knowing what I said, the comment was said to be more of a joke implied by my idea or somewhat understand of how we could remember what it felt like to be born. My teacher was upset by the comment and reacted in the form of punishing me from giving me a referral. I believe that could have been a sign of me trying to rebel because as it was a joke I did express my understanding of what she asked.

School is the time where we at least have to make an effort to learn and educate ourselves. Sometimes its easer to just too just not care. Like for instance in my history teachers class, that day I chose to not care. The decision I made wasn’t a good one, but for

what he said wasn’t fair to just let it slide. My history teacher passed a comment that

seemed laid back about my decision to color a bottle of mine a certain color. He asked

why I would choose to color the bottle a color that had nothing to do with the Halloween

colors. As a natural reaction I took the comment as a joke and responded by saying, “cool, my teach isn’t tripping.” As the period went by I still did nothing but color the bottle, I guess that upset him. He said to me “You don’t need to have a high school diploma to be a janitor.” That got me real mad because most Mexicans don’t really get there diplomas in Mexico and end up doing having that job if they came to America. I was given a

detention with him after school. When I arrived to my detention he asks me about my all

my grades saying that he went through my grades. I got upset because he looked through

my grades when he should just be worrying about it in his class. Next you know I get

called in the office saying he gave me a referral. I end up getting 3 detentions which was supposedly getting off easy which is not fair at all because Mr. Compton didn’t even get

called in to talk to him about what he said to me.

Adults think they know everything that is right for us, but they don’t. They might have

lived a longer life than us and all, but that doesn’t mean they have the right to get us in

trouble for the same mistakes they most likely made themselves. Us kids might speak are

mind but know sometimes we are wrong but, the adults they of course have to be right

and have the answers for are mistakes because they never made mistakes like us right?

I’ve spoken my mind many times and gotten in trouble for it, but that will never stop me

fromm saying what I think is right or doing what I think is right. If you just listened and did everything they said, then your just brain washed you should do what you think is right. If your listening and caring what they say, may as well let them hold your hand and show

you the steps for everything.

After everything I have believed I have come to the conclusion that it is my opinion and that speaking my mind and doing what I think is the most important thing to me.

Consequently if it gets me in trouble I have still stood up and made my point allowing my

mind to be heard. I believe that that is more important than anything to believe that you

can do the right thing even if others say it is wrong to speak your mind.