The Values of the Outdoors

John - Montgomery, Minnesota

For generations people have used hunting for many purposes like gathering food, stress relief and for just pure enjoyment. I believe that hunting is a great way to get in touch with the environment. Since the environment is shrinking at a rapid pace, everybody needs to be aware of the problem.

I have been addicted to hunting and the outdoors since I was a little kid. My dad started my love for the outdoors at the age of three when he began teaching me how to shoot an air rifle into the old woodstove in the garage. I spent hours upon hours and countless rounds of ammunition in that garage. My dad and I used this time to bond and we are the best of friends.

At age five I was given my first pellet gun. I was so excited that night, I slept with it. Every day was spent outside, hoping to shoot a passing sparrow or finch in the tree.

Now that I am older I appreciate the outdoors more because I realize the danger that they are in. Whether I’m in the duck blind or walking the wheat fields, nature is always beautiful. You can see the orange sunrises, the amber fields, and the blue skies.

Some people say that hunting is not for them. They have excuses like they don’t like shooting animals or they don’t like getting up so early. If they could spend one day outside with anybody who loves hunting like I do, they would realize that it isn’t just about killing the animals. It mostly is about the beauty of nature and conserving it.

When I have kids of my own I will teach them the values of the outdoors that my father taught to me. Hopefully it will spark the idea that the environment is being ruined and that immediate actions need to be made to preserve this wonderful pastime.