Melissa - Mckinney, Texas

By Melissa Wylie

I believe in listening to what others have to say, and I mean truly listening; hearing their words and really thinking about what they are saying. I used to think it was only it was only important for others to listen to me. It never occurred to me to take into consideration that the person I was speaking to might actually want to share their views too. I thought, maybe I’m not the only one who wants to be heard and instead of complaining about me me me, why don’t I actually stop and listen. I’m talking like this was a long time ago. It was really very recently that I decided to silence my thoughts and try quieting my mouth. One of the major things I realized was how much artists put into their music. I listened to songs to hear the message they are trying to get across. In one song they were actually singing about people not understanding the deep meaning of the song, just listening to the surface. I thought that also applied to life. It would be pretty accurate to say I was a shallow listener. Not too long ago I was really busy so I stopped doing my homework for certain classes. Those classes weren’t my favorites so I didn’t think it mattered. In class my teacher would come around and ask for homework, I would say I didn’t have it so they would shake their head in disappointment. This would be happening in more than one class. If my teachers were trying to make me feel bad, it was working. I hate people being disappointed in me. I went to my mom, who always knows the right things to say. I told her that my teacher was telling me to be more responsible and that she doesn’t care anyway so I didn’t need her telling me that. In the middle of our conversation we realized that I repeatedly heard this from other teachers also, and maybe it was my problem, not theirs. We continued talking, trying to figure out what the deal was. My mom and I concluded that my teachers knew I wasn’t trying my hardest and they only wanted to help get me motivated, not make me feel bad. I should not have taken it so personally and tried to understand their good intentions. That pointed out the fact that I was only half listening to everything and hearing what I wanted. Very rarely do I ever teach myself a lesson, but this is a special occasion. I learned that people say things for a certain reason, and that is to be listened too. I learned and am still learning to listen, to understand, and to appreciate everything around me, but not to forget to still express myself. I believe that everybody has something to say and that we all deserve to be listened to.