I believe in change.

Camara - plano, Texas
Themes: change

This I believe

I believe in change. All kinds change, from blossoming trees in the spring, to dry falling leaves in the fall. Or even more serious change, like moving to a new state, or in my case a different country. Change can be difficult, whether you are a baby transitioning to his mother’s womb to the outside world, or a caterpillar transitioning to a butterfly. Change affects each person in different ways.

In my case it has affected my life for the better. When I first heard the words “were moving to Morocco”, while standing on my cream carpet in my bright yellow room, my first thought was “ohmygosh”. The next few weeks of summer were a blur, but I do remember that they were the worst ever. I couldn’t believe that my parents were doing this to me. I was supposed to be starting year 7 after the summer. The last day in England was the worst, I was so sad the whole day, and right before we left for the airport was when I burst into tears. I thought to myself “this is the end of chapter one in my life, and the beginning of chapter 2”.

When I stepped off the plane and saw the sunlight, I knew that even though I was leaving behind my brother Kareem, who had decided to stay for college, my friends, and the country I had come to know and love, that this was all for the best. I’ll tell you what: I was right. Although that year was tough, I made it, and I was so proud of myself for sticking through it till the end. Not that I had any choice in the matter mind you. I can’t say that I enjoyed living in Morocco, but I will say that it was definitely a life changing experience for me. A lot of adults can’t even say that they have done what I’ve done. I was introduced to new things and situations, but most importantly, I became more thankful and aware. Not just of how people live differently in Africa, but also how they suffer. We take so much for granted here in the West. It opened my eyes, and I’m glad I got the chance to have such a great experience, because it most definitely changed me as a person. Change isn’t always easy but if you embrace it, and just give it a chance, more than likely you will eventually see the light at the end of the tunnel. This I believe.