Tevon - Tacoma, Washington

I Believe That I am One of a Kind

I’m 5 feet 10 inches tall. I live in Tacoma, Washington. I’m 15 years old. I’m a freshman in High School. I’m the MVP (most valuable player) of my freshman football team. I am Tevon Stephens- Brown.

Many people think that I’m an idiot, because I’m big, black, and athletic. Quite often peers of mine have asked me what my grades are like, not always in like a ha-ha tone and when I tell them I have A’s and a B or two their eyes light up. Then, they go on to say you’re lying or I thought you were stupid. So then I just look at them, like why can’t I be smart? Another situation that tends to occur is “why are you doing your homework”, or “why are you upset that you have a B”. I find myself speechless after I hear some of the kids say this, because the same kids when progress reports or grades come out are grounded and can’t play school sports, for not maintaining a 2.0 GPA. That’s a C in every class, all you have to do is show up on time everyday. Instead of wasting their breathe asking me idiotic questions, they should be asking themselves how come I can’t make it to class on time so that I can stay out of trouble and attempt to make something of my life.

I want to become a lawyer. Many people believe that I can do anything I please in life, so do I. I know what I have to do to achieve this goal, I believe that I am on the right path to doing so. A few people don’t believe that I can do much of anything with my life. I remember in Middle School the P.E. teacher thought I was a hoodlum, I think it was because I was bigger than everyone else and I’m black. He’d give me dirty looks and say “Tevon quit trying to be a thug”, I would just stand there, like, what! It wasn’t until I joined the basketball team in 8th grade and I was the only player eligible to play in that week’s game, I had straight A’s at the time, is when he realized that his assumptions were wrong.

So therefore, I believe in trying my best to accomplish my goals. Whether you believe in me or not. I am going to make something of my life. I can change the world. I believe that I am one of a kind.