Chelsea - Middlefield, Ohio

This I Believe…

Chelsea is a sixteen year old, junior, at Cardinal High School who plays softball and basketball. She enjoys writing about her personal experiences and lessons she’s learned. In her essay, she writes about the battle between fear and faith. Through her personal experiences she shows her battle with fear. She believes fear can be overcome.

Fear conquers everyone. It is over ruling to everyone. The only emotion that it cannot stand up to is faith. Faith makes fear tremble. If you fill your mind with faith, your actions will be faith oriented; fear will be too weak to enter your life. If you have faith, you will conquer fear. If you conquer fear, you will have the entire world just waiting for you.

For example, after getting hit in the head, many people would think I would give up on softball. But, I knew that the softball field was where I was supposed to be. Stepping onto the field for the first time after my injury, I was filled with fear. But I told myself I was meant to here. I had faith that I was in the right place. And at the very moment I gained that faith, the fear inside me left my body, leaving me only with the faith that I would be ok. I established a meaning of faith through this experience. Faith is when you walk, even though you can not see. Walking on that softball field, blind to what had happened; I gained faith and lost the fear of my accident happening again. I had all the faith in the world that I was the same softball player. The moment I gained that faith and lost my fear, I had the whole world and every opportunity opened up to me. This enabled me to perform at the level I once was by not fearing.

Fear is so strong. The strength fear has makes it the scariest thing you can ever feel. When you fear you lose all sense of reality and you feed of it. No one can have the full understanding of fear until they experience it. As Norman Vincent Peale once said, “Fear is the most powerful of all thoughts with one exception, and that one exception is faith. Faith can always overcome fear. Faith is the one power against which fear cannot stand. Day by day, as you fill your mind with faith, there is ultimately be no room for fear. This is the one great fact that no one should forget. Master faith and you will automatically master fear.”