Laughing is the Panacea for All Life Situations

Erin - 30062, Georgia

Through research, laughing has been proven not only fun but it’s actually healthy for your body. It releases chemicals that leave you feeling relieved and energized. Also, it helps learning and lowers levels of depression. As far as research goes, those are just some fun facts about laughing.

Why do we laugh? It could be from awkwardness, embarrassment, holding back tears, or just from a hilarious joke. One particular afternoon stands out in my mind as an example of my friends using a laughing cure-all. My friends would probably be characterized as being silly and playful. My friend thought it would be a logical idea to give my other friend what some would call a piggy back ride. It was an ice cold winter day after a lacrosse game and it had rained the previous night. After jumping on, my two friends were walking up a narrow path to the parking lot to go home. That’s when my friend, Kelly (the one giving the piggy back ride) crossed in to a patch of mud and lost her balance. Kelly and my other friend, Erika fell straight in to the pile of mud on top of each other. In the midst of their laughing and pain, Kelly saw from the corner of her eye the boys lacrosse team approaching. They all watched this whole mess happen and with an outstretched hand, one of them asked, “Do you want some help?” In their embarrassment, all they could do was laugh. In fact, they couldn’t stop since laughing is a contagious disease. What if they had not giggled? They would surely be ruined and ridiculed forever.

That situation just shows that laughter is a huge part of human life and that’s why I believe laughing is a panacea for all life situations. It replaces emotions and feelings we wish to avoid. I know I laugh so much and without it I would probably be depressed and lost. E.E. Cummings once said “The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.” Laughing gives of strength and hides are weaknesses no matter what the circumstances tend to be. You can always laugh off a situation or you can always laugh just for fun. Whatever one you choose, you’ll automatically feel relieved and more at ease. So laugh for a second, and smile more because even if your boyfriend just broke up with you, one dose of it can cure it in an instant!