Kyle - Middlefield, Ohio

It Only Takes One

I believe that people are respected for who they are. Not how fancy your clothes are or what dislikes or likes you have, but solely based on that they’re a human being just like you. The many people in the world today who give people the benefit of the doubt brighten others days. I try to be nice to everyone I encounter on a daily basis. I believe that a simple “Hi.” Or a nice comment to someone will make that person have a better day and will pass on the kindness to others.

One day I was at the park and an old man was sitting on a bench, I offered him a pretzel stick from my pretzel bag. His face lit up, “Why thank you young man.” “You’re welcome,” I replied. We got into a long conversation about his war stories, his family, and just every day life. He was a sweet old man. Out of no where he asked me why there aren’t too many people like me left in the world. I was astonished. I told him that I didn’t understand why he would say that about me, I was only making conversation and listening. He then went on to tell me that people who lend a helping hand shall be rewarded later on in life and will be happy with their selves, they will look back on how they treated gods divine creations and be satisfied and feel like they have, in a way, “helped out”.

I had got a call from my wife telling me that I needed to come home for dinner. So I shook the old man’s hand and said good bye. He did the same.

When I reached home I realized that I forgot to ask what the man’s name was. It bugged me for awhile.

The next night my wife came home and told me how her day was, she told me that she had a story to tell me. So I sat down and listened. She explained to me that she had loosed her purse at the grocery store and she was frantic because it was a new purse and had everything in it. But she was lucky that a kind young man brought back her purse and gave it to her. I was surprised that she got her purse back and had a good day.

I believe that we’re put on this earth to care for each other.