Sarah - Arden, North Carolina

I believe everyone should strive to be more like their dog.

I, currently, have two dogs; Casper and Wendi. They both weigh under 12 pounds and are amazing creatures. They’re always happy and always ready to go; to leave with you and venture out into the new world, not caring about what they leave behind (as long as food exists where we travel). They live in the moment, taking every second as it comes, with no worries about tomorrow, for they know, tomorrow will come and will also promise an adventure.

Wendi, a black Pomapoo who proudly sports crazy, frizzy hair, is the most trusting small dog I’ve ever seen; not the typical yip-yap Chihuahua. She’ll lay in my arms and lean way, way back so I scratch her favorite parts of her neck. She surrenders herself completely to me, leaving her entire fate in my hands. She trusts me because she knows I won’t let anything happen. She portrays the trust everyone should experience; completely surrendering your heart and soul to an unknown force. Yes, you may get hurt and yes you may be broken, but you’ll never know until you trust.

Wendi has also never met a stranger. She greets everyone as if they have been life long friends. She does not assume because they have dirty clothes they are trash or because they are shy they are crazy; she accepts them for the soul they have not the label on their shirt.

My dogs have a purer soul than any other being. They possess a power in their wagging tails and hanging tongues. They bring joy through kind eyes and accepting hearts. Their spirit is organic in its own way. They live in the moment, fill everyday with maximum fun, comfort those in need when they are called on, love everyone regardless of who the individual may be, bring light to any dark situations, and appreciate every treat, stranger, pat, hug, loving scratch, and friendly noses up their butts.

More than being there to love on and serve as a general companion, dogs provide reassurance. They let you know that they, if no one else, will be excited when you return home; they know that the world really is a good place (what other planets have bushes to pee on?). They tell us, with one lick of their slobbery tongue, that the world we live in is, in fact, not crashing down.

I can honestly say, I would not be the person I am today without my dogs. Friends fade in and out of my life. Jobs come and they go. Parents get mad and apologize. Horrible things happen, but my dogs will always be there, a beacon of hope, and, for that reason, I believe everyone should be more like their dogs.