Michelle - Pacifica, California
Themes: illness

What if you were to die tomorrow and not even know it? The doctors can save you or simply just a miracle. People don’t believe in miracles, but I know I do.

When I was seven years old I came close to a near death experience. There was an annoyance in my leg and I thought that I was just sore, so I didn’t worry about it. That day at school we had a mini field trip to the library. Our walk back and forth was difficult for me because it was hard to keep up with my classmates. After school, I went to child-care and still didn’t tell anyone about my pain. When my Dad picked me up, I told him what was wrong. He didn’t know what kind of pain it was, so he just brought me to my physician.

When I arrived at the doctors he told us he thought it is a blood clot. He didn’t want to take any chances, so he immediately told me to go to the Emergency Room. At this moment, I was scared and I didn’t know what was going to happen. As soon as I got to the Hospital, I was checked in right away. That night, the nurses and staff did all sorts of x-rays and blood tests. As soon as they got the results they told my dad that I was diagnosed with endocarditic.

Right after they clarified what was happen during my operation, “YES”, was the answer to everything. They discussed that my surgery will be replacement of valves. They said during the surgery they will take my diseased aortic valve and replace it with my own pulmonary valve, also known as a Ross Procedure. After explaining what was going to happen, they immediately poked me with IV’s to give me the antibiotics and different medicines to suspend the bacteria from spreading anywhere else in my heart. After spending weeks in the hospital, my doctors agreed to do an open-heart surgery to keep me from dying.

My family was there by my side the whole time. They kept telling me that everything was going to be okay. I knew that nothing bad was going to happen and I just stayed strong. I trusted the doctors and nurses and let them do whatever they needed to do to save my life.

After a whole nine hours my family was immediately notified that the operation went well. If I didn’t go to the hospital that night, I wouldn’t be here right now. Since then I have had three major heart surgeries and nothing wrong has happened. I’m happy to still be here alive, that’s my miracle.