Amanda - Marietta, Georgia

I believe that people can be perfect. I hear the saying all the time that “nobody’s perfect” and I believe that people can indeed be perfect. Perfection isn’t about knowing everything, or doing the right thing all the time. When many people think of a perfect person they think of someone who is very kind and always gives to charity. However, what’s the difference if the person cheats and the money in which they are donating is stolen> They think their doing the right thing by taking from the rich and giving to the poor, but is it necessarily right? In their mind, yes but in some one else’s mind probably not. However, because that person is so convinced that it’s the right thing to do they are perfect because perfection is about setting a goal and trying as hard as possible to reach that goal. It’s about always having the strength to try again if things don’t turn out as good as they should have.

A perfect person doesn’t always have to be perfect either, because everyone makes mistakes. However, it’s how one decides to deal with that mistake that determines who they are. It’s the effort they put forth every time they try their hardest that makes them perfect. I admit that I’ve made mistakes before and whether I chose the right way to cope with the consequences or not, I tried my hardest, and for that one second I was perfect. Every time I stay up until two-o-clock in the morning studying as hard as possible for a test the next day, it doesn’t matter how I did on it, because I tried as hard as I could, and that made me perfect. Every one has at least one time in their life where they put forth that extra effort and tried as hard as they could.

I remember one time when my friend was over at my house and we were supposed to be studying for a major test the next day. Well, we decided to watch a movie instead and the next day, I sat down to take the test and I couldn’t remember anything. We both failed miserably, but the difference was how we decided to deal with the consequence. I took responsibility for not passing, because I knew it was my fault. After all, I watched the movie instead of studying. However, my friend blamed in on the teacher. She said that the teacher “couldn’t teach” and she even went so far as to get switched out of the class. That one action shows that mistakes aren’t what define people. It’s the way one decides to deal with the actions that determines what kind of person they really are. Perfectionism is about learning from your mistakes and doing the best you can to not repeat the same mistakes.