Joshua - Provo, Utah

Last year I went on an academic recruiting trip to BYU. While on the trip, I fell in love with the college campus, and I met three guys that would change my life forever. Over the next year we kept in contact as we counted down the days until our college years would begin. We all had our different reasons for striving so desperately to come to college. I, having moved all over the place, needed some stability in my life with a fresh new group of friends that I wouldn’t leave after two years. There was Tyler who wanted to get out of the materialistic world of Southern California, filled with expensive cars and overpriced handbags. Then there was Sean who wanted to get away from a string of bad overdramatic high school relationships. Finally, there was Brett who wanted to get away from the town that he had lived in his entire life and come to a fresh place filled with new people. Whatever the reason or circumstance, one thing was clear, college is a time to start over. Entering college I was able to have a new slate where I could create a whole new image of myself. No one knew how I cheated on my girlfriend sophomore year or how I peed my pants in the sixth grade. I could be whoever I wanted to be because nobody knew who I once was.

As the four of us entered college we were shocked at the new freedoms we had. There was no curfew obsessed parents, no unnaturally strict teachers, or no unbearable high school drama. We enthusiastically used this freedom to meet new people as these new people were enthused to meet us. I gained friendships nearly instantly as I roamed through the campus feeling a sense of freedom I thought I could never feel.

College has given me an opportunity to serve. With this new structure of friends in my life, I finally have the opportunity to help those that were not as outgoing and do not have such a great social life. I have been able to constantly look and seek out these people, as I want them to have the college experience I have so happily enjoyed. Therefore, through having the chances to make others happy, I too have been filled with undying happiness.

After one semester of college, the original guys from that first recruiting trip and I are extremely close. We, however, have added hundreds of other friends to this close friendship in this seemingly never ending recruiting trip for happiness called college.

I believe in College.