Rachael - Tacoma, Washington
Themes: freedom

I believe in freedom. The constitution guarantees us freedom of speech and freedom of the press but that does not mean that we are free people. We don’t have the freedom to wear, say or do whatever we want. Sometimes freedom is a bad thing. People who do drugs or kill people have taken advantage of freedom and that is why we are so limited in what we can and cannot do.

A lot of schools these days have dress codes. Personally I believe that dress codes are wrong because they limit us and do not give us freedom to express ourselves. I don’t want to go along with the crowd. I am my own person and freedom allows me be that.

We all say that we are free and that we are “living in a free country”, but are we really? No, we are not. There are way too many rules and regulations for us to follow. I don’t believe that gay marriage is wrong but many people do. If you love someone then you should be able to marry him or her regardless of gender. In society we are told what to say and do and what is right and wrong. We act, dress, and look a certain way because that is what we think it is the “right” or “cool” thing to do. We all want to be different from everyone else and be our own person, freedom allows us to do that. Being made fun of because you are doing what you want and not what everyone else wants is wrong. Do you really think that because someone tells us to do something, it is the right thing to do? I don’t because I believe in freedom.

By definition freedom means the state of being free or at liberty. Freedom means being able to speak up for yourself and stand up for yourself. If someone asks me my opinion I will stand-up for my beliefs. In the pledge of allegiance we say “With liberty and justice for all”. Every time we say the pledge we are basically saying that there is freedom for all. But there is not. I want freedom, I want it for all and I want it now. All countries, regardless of where they are and what kind of government they have, should be free.

Freedom makes us the country that we are today. One of the only countries that allows us the freedom of speech and the freedom of press. Many things in our society should be changes so that we have more freedom. Too much freedom can be a bad thing but I believe in freedom.