Thomas - Moraga, California

A Weathered Eye Allows One to See a Cloud’s Silver Lining

I have never been through a horrible experience or difficult time in my life without someone saying the timeless idiom “Every cloud has a silver lining”. Hearing this statement always made me wonder if that person had actually ever seen a real cloud. As a cloud gazing kid I found that not every cloud had a silver lining. Some were dark cumulonimbus clouds and some were wispy cirrus clouds. I believed that only certain clouds had silver linings. However, I have recently discovered that every cloud actually has a silver lining. I have also discovered that spotting a cloud’s silver lining requires three things: time, sunshine, and clear skies.

With time every cloud will reveal its silver lining. It can take minutes or years. Often you must see more clouds before you see your first silver lining. It is extremely hard to find the silver lining when very few clouds have come your way. For that reason, it takes clouds of all shapes and sizes passing through your life before you even know what a silver lining looks like. To locate a silver lining you must study the clouds you have seen and relive the moments when the clouds passed over you. With time, silver linings will start appearing.

A cloud gets it silver lining from sunlight shining onto it; a bad event gets its silver lining from an optimistic attitude. Clouds are not always in the sunlight and therefore they do not have a silver lining at every moment. However, as the sun travels through the sky it gives every cloud a chance to have a silver lining. Just like the sun, everyone possesses the capability to put each of their personal clouds into sunshine. Some clouds are light and easy to place into sunshine; others are dense and heavy and require the help of others. Once a cloud has been placed in the sunlight it takes on a whole new look and the silver lining starts to appear. If for some reason that personal cloud never experiences the rays of optimism, it will continue to be remembered only as a cold, damp formation.

Finally, to see a silver lining you must have clear skies. Clear skies give the best perspective. Some clouds stay for a while, some come in stormy clusters, and some bring rain. In all of these situations, it is best to wait until a cloud has passed over you before you start to look for its silver lining. You do not want to clutter your observations with the fleeting emotions clouds often bring. Observing a cloud during clear skies allows a person to observe more than just the underbelly of the cloud.

Personally, it took many clouds passing overhead before I was weathered enough to discover the nature of sliver linings. I know there will always be more clouds ahead, but I am prepared because I believe every cloud has a silver lining.