Alexander - Tacoma, Washington

I believe that everybody should be treated equally. I believe this because I see the opposite of this happen everyday of my life. I see one person insulting another’s intelligence while the person that is being offended turn around and disgrace that person’s looks. I also see that in school we belong to certain groups. There are the popular kids, the outcasts, nerds, jocks, class clowns or comedians, EMOs, skaters, stoners, and oh yeah the people who don’t fit into any of these groups.

I believe that if there wasn’t this system for labeling others and putting ourselves into secluded groups, then this world would be a way better and different place. I believe this because no one would have to dress a certain way to please someone or to be exempt from being insulted or made fun of or the next target of someone’s pain and anger.

This reminds me of when I was in middle school about one to two years ago. There was this one boy who would always wear the same style of clothes and who would talk differently than the “normal” person would. Because of his differences from the “Normal person” some of the other people in the school would go around and antagonize him for his differences. I would always see him retreat to the teacher’s rooms to get away from this because he was so tired of the students doing this to him. He would not talk to anyone but the teachers because he was fearful that he would be made fun of and just be the target of another joke. I know this because one day I was trying to be nice to him and say hello and he would not answer in return. I thought he just didn’t hear me but instead of answering he would run away or walk really fast to a hidden place where he wouldn’t have to speak to anyone and where he could be alone.

I brought this up because this has taught me not to be mean to people because of their appearance and not to judge people by how they look or how they dress. By antagonizing someone for a while they will want to be secluded and isolated from the group. This story has taught me the effects of social put-downs on people and to stand up to the people that are insulting the victim by telling them that it is not right to do this to a person no matter the circumstances. I believe everyone needs to be treated the same and if this was the case maybe we wouldn’t have our groups of seclusion that we have. I believe that if this were the case the world would be a less fearful place to live in. I also believe that people wouldn’t have to worry about how they look, speak, or what they enjoy to do if everyone was treated the same way.