Natasha - Bryant, Iowa

When one door closes another one opens. We have all heard that saying before, but what does it mean? To some it means happiness, to others disappointment. But to me it means a combination of both. Sometimes bad things happen to me, but there are also good things on the horizon. Despite the difficulties I am faced with, the incidents I encounter shape who I am and the way I live today. While attending elementary school, my thoughts were consumed with how I looked, what others thought of me, and how I could change in order to fit in with the “cool” girls. I thought that by changing who I was the other girls would accept me as one of their friends. When in reality, they really could have cared less about what I actually acted like, they were just immature. Their minds lacked experience and created a strict image of what “cool” really was. At the time of all my heartache, there was no possible way I could have imagined anything good coming out of the instability provided throughout elementary. All I could do was think to myself, “Why is this happening? Why me?” It was not until later in life that I realized exactly how these events truly shaped my life and the way I live today. Those seemingly terrible times made me a stronger, better person. I began to understand how those events help me cope with the negative pressures and situations that occur to me now. Although today I still find myself wondering what others think of me and how I look, I do not let it consume my thoughts and take over my daily life. I have learned over time that if people do not like me that is fine. Not everyone will. However, they probably have their own particular reasons why. Whatever incidents occur in my life, I know I will be able to get through them and life will go on. Usually we do not know what we want in life, but things seem to somehow work out in the end. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and although we may not always succeed in figuring out that particular reason, it still helps mold and shape our lives. Whether the situation deals with friends, family, love, or simply life in general, the occurrences happen for a reason even though we cannot figure them out right away. Whenever something happens and I find myself wondering, “Why me?” I remind myself everything is going to be fine, and the particular incident will probably just help me grow. I believe everything happens for a reason.