Lauryn - Preston, Iowa
Themes: sports

Win or Lose, It’s Good For You

I believe that volleyball is good for the soul.

Volleyball is unlike any other sport that I have ever participated in. Everyone on the court has to be “on,” otherwise, failure is imminent. A team cannot succeed with only one focused person. In volleyball, a good set up is the use of a pass, set, and an attack. When someone is not focused, everything with fall apart. I have been apart of failure, and I am sure that everyone else has too. The key to failing is the way one acts during it. Volleyball has taught me to stay confident and be a leader even through the bad times. This past volleyball season was a true testament to what kind of leader I am. I was the co-caption of the varsity team and had many responsibilities. My main responsibility this year in particular, was to stay positive through the bad times and lead our team to do better. Throughout this past season I believe that a leadership role has been given to me, and should be put to good use.

Whenever the new school year rolls around, it means one thing to me. Volleyball season is starting. These past four volleyball seasons have gone by so fast; yet, I remember playing as a freshman like it was yesterday. Throughout my high school volleyball career I have learned a lot from my coach Denise Larson. She has shown me and encouraged me to be the best and be a leader. She truly has had an impact on my soul in the gym and in general. I believe that she is one of the people that have made me who I am today. She has believed in me and strengthened me over the years for little in return. For this reason I am truly thankful for everything that she has done. Everything that I know about leadership and the aspect of “team,” I have learned in volleyball. I believe that I would not be the same person if it were not for this sport. I have learned so much from my coach and will always remember the effort she put into making me a better person.