Travis - Preston, Iowa
Themes: parenthood

Common Sense is Important

I believe that common sense is important for being successful in life. I have seen people who have common sense become very successful. People who have a lot of common sense go farther in life. When they have problems that hold them back, they can solve them with their common sense.

One example of someone with common sense is my dad. I think that he has a lot of common sense. He started his own business on common sense. As a young man he started out as a poor farmer with nothing. Then he decided that farming was not going anywhere, so he looked for something to go into that had a future. Common sense told my dad that plastics was growing rapidly, so he decided that he would start a plastic factory. My dad bought a thermo former and went to a few classes. Common sense did the rest. Now my dad is a successful business owner.

I have had problems myself that I have had to use common sense to get out of. I was working at my dad’s factory, and he told me that I had to go pick up some plywood and nails for the factory in Clinton. I had just got my license that year, so I had not drove around Clinton by myself that much yet. I had to go to the part of Clinton that I knew well to get the plywood and nails that he told me to get, so I thought that I would be all right. Then he called me on my cell phone and told me that I would have to go to the other side of Clinton and go get some pipe for the factory. I thought that I could do it, so I got the address, the name of the place, and started off for the other side of Clinton. The place that I had to go to was on First Street. I was on Second Street and did not see First Street. My common sense told me that First Street had to be close to Second Street, so I followed Second Street for a while until I saw a sign that said First Street. Then I followed First Street until I found the place that I needed to go to. If I did not have common sense, I do not know what I would have done.

I believe that everyone has common sense. I believe that they just have to put some effort into thinking. I believe the most successful people had common sense to help them along their road to success. I believe that everyone can solve their problems if they use their common sense.