Cheryl - 02648, Massachusetts

Now I believe in spirits

My daughter is five years old and still asking for our dog. He died almost two years ago. How is it that she still actually sees him and talks to him? If she understands why he’s not here, why is she still asking for him? How do I explain to her I can’t see him when she can?

How is it that my daughter can still see my dog? She could be looking out the window or in my truck and she talks to him. I have asked her “Who are you talking to?” and she has said, “Winston. Don’t you see him?” I can’t explain it because I can’t see him, and to be honest, it kind of scares me to think about it. But when she does ask about him, I ask her if he is happy and if she said hi to him; and my daughter always tells me that she did, and he is happy.

I tell my daughter all the time; Winston is up in the stars with Papa. I tell her that they are up there taking care of each other. My daughter understands that he was very sick and he had to go away. The question is how much does she really understand. Right now I look like the bad guy for taking her dog away. She has asked for another dog but when we talk about getting one she asks for Winston to come back.

Why can’t I see my dog? If my daughter can, why can’t I. People have told me in the past that children can see sprits. Is it true? I can say if you lived with us, it is true. I don’t know what to do about my daughter seeing my dog. So I leave it alone. I let her think that she can see him, and talk to him. If you were a mother you would want your child to be happy. So that’s what I’m doing. She is happy when she sees him, so I leave it alone but keep asking her if he is happy and to say hi to him.

So how do you explain it to a child?? I believe you don’t leave her alone but keep asking her if everything is ok. Well, that’s what I do with my five year old daughter. What would you do if your child could see an animal or even a person who had passed away?? Would you begin to believe her, too??