Alayna - Sabula, Iowa

I believe in accepting people no matter how they look

I believe everyone should accept people no matter if they are black, white, male, female, Chinese or Indian. Some of the most intelligent people are from a different race or gender. If people listened to the judgments that others made our society would be scared to step out of their houses in fear of being unliked.

Coming from a Cuban background I have experienced strange looks and rude comments about my skin color. The first time I felt rejected was when I was younger. My brothers and I went across the street to play with the neighbor kids “Go away we don’t want to play with niggers!” they said. That was the first time I felt different than everyone else. I had always felt like a normal kid, but after that experience I never felt the same. I questioned my mother about the comment our friends made because I did not understand how someone could say something so mean. She explained to me how some people are brought up differently than others, and that many people show hatred towards others because of the way they look, dress, and their beliefs.

As I got older I realized that no matter how people looked or talked, others would criticize you. Growing up hearing comments and receiving stares, it made me stronger. I believe racism is taught in a family. Growing up with a Cuban father I was taught to love others no matter how they looked. He said to me, “If you listen to what everyone says and don’t follow your dream you will never get anywhere in life.” I thank him for sharing that piece of knowledge with me. If Martin Luther King Jr. just gave up when people told him to sit down African American people might not have the rights they have today. If Susan B. Anthony and Carrie Chatman Catt gave up on fighting for women’s rights when men told them it would not happen, women would not have the rights they have today.

I believe people should accept each other no matter how they look. If people listened to all of the rude comments and judgments of others our society would not be known as the land of the free.