The Power of Friends, Chocolate and Movies

Ashley - Miles, Iowa
Themes: pleasure

I wake up and hop into a cold shower. I break my hair straightener and end up putting my hair in a boring ponytail. I grab a cappuccino before school and spill it all over my car. In my first block class, I find out that my homework is at home on the table. In between classes I learn that the guy I’m supposedly seeing, is still obsessed with his ex-girlfriend. After a hectic day, the only thing I want to do is curl up in a little ball and cry. What else could go wrong? When bad hair, a bad boy, or stress ruins a day, sweets, a good movie, and friends can make any day better.

A great big bag of chocolates is a soother for any sore or pain. It relieves pain during that certain down time of the month, and can cure sadness caused by all those boys who have ripped my heart apart. It is as if chocolate knows what I need and what I want. Chocolate has always been there for me and never complains when I eat it. It will never run away or not answer my calls. To me chocolate is one food that God gave women to help them through the toughest times.

When my friends and I get together, a movie is always on the agenda. Usually a good chick-flick. When successful women find the loves of their lives, who can’t be happy for them? Then we sit around, devouring that yummy chocolate, and tell funny things about all our miserably failed relationships.

These friends are the ones that matter the most. Through the tough times my friends have been there to give me that hug I need or the reassurance that everything will be okay. When a fight arose between my mother and I, I was afraid to go home. I figured she would yell. My life would be miserable forever. But I have this friend. She was with me before I went home and was talking with me. When I finally decided to go home, she text messaged me to make sure everything was okay. She told me that if I wanted to, I could stay at her house, even if she had to come and get me. It is friends like these that make all the difference.

I believe that chocolate, a good movie and good friends can cure any pain or illness. When life gets me down, all I need to do is call a friend. From there, everything falls into place: chocolate, movies, and a good time.