Cory - Clinton, Iowa
Themes: work

Living on a Farm Makes a Person more Responsible

Ever since I was 12, I have been helping my dad on a regular basis on the farm. The majority of my help comes in the fall when we are busy trying to get all the corn and soybeans out. If it is not raining out, then a person can probably find me working in the fields from sunrise to well after dark. In saying that, that does not mean that I do not help him any other time of the year. There is always something to do all year round from planting in the spring to baling hay in the summer to pushing snow in the winter. And how does all this tie in to being responsible? Well, first of all, farming is not like other jobs because in most jobs a person works from eight to five and get the weekends and holidays off. Farming does not take a day off. Most workdays are usually over 12 hours long seven days a week. With all of this time working, that does not leave a whole lot of time for play. A person has to be responsible and not go out and mess around until the job is done, and then let the good times roll. Another thing that makes a person responsible is that farmers have to handle and maintain expensive machinery worth many times hundreds of thousands of dollars. That is why people have to be responsible because if they would happen to screw up, it could take thousands of dollars to fix it. Those things that I have already mentioned do not even compare to probably the most important thing that is on a farm. That would most likely have to be the livestock. On our farm, we have over one million dollars worth of cattle. Each steer is worth roughly 1,200 dollars, so it is quite important to make sure that all of them are healthy and that they get fed on time. Working long hours, keeping track of exspensive machinery, and taking care of livestock are reasons why I believe living on a farm makes a person much more responsible than the average person.