sandra - south san francisco, California
Themes: pleasure

Who wants to waste their time doing something they are told to do? Almost my whole life my older brother Alvaro made me run track and play basketball. I enjoyed doing track it wasn’t something I was passionate about it kept me in shape. Basketball on the other hand was something I just hate so much. Another reason that I liked track was because I was good at it, but in basketball I wasn’t. Track wasn’t my passion though; my passion was dancing. Unfortunately my brother didn’t agree with me to dance because he always said that “sports are going to give me scholarships and take me places and dancing is not going to take you place only lucky people go far with that”. But this I believe: “You should do what you love to do”.

For seven years I wasted my time running track, and I couldn’t whine about it I just couldn’t disappoint my brother and I had no choice. I remember that one day my family and I went to a party and everybody was dancing so I began to dance. My brother’s friend Snelgro who is a producer saw me dancing and wanted me to sign on his group of arts and dances. As usual my brother brought my hopes down and ruined my chances for dancing and said to Snelgro, “NO! She is running track and is doing fine with that”. I was infuriated and I just stopped running track and started rebelling towards everyone because I was just tired of pleasing everyone and thinking about everyone else and not enough about my self. I got sent to Florida to go live with my older brother Jose and I actually thought I would have a chance to dance. I was wrong he made me play basketball. I just felt like shooting myself because I hate basketball. I started to forget about dance because I thought to myself maybe everything that is happening is a sign that dancing isn’t something I should focus or worry about. But I believe that you should do what you love to. I began to watch more music videos would copy all of the dance moves and practice them on my own and also all of my male friends were break dancers and I learned from them to. I believe that I can go and do what I love to do.

Two years later I came back to California and decided to pursue dancing even more. I now do hip-hop, ballet, samba-reggae, and I did cinthe but I wasn’t that interested in that. I sometimes feel if I would have started dancing at a younger age it would have been easier for me and I would have had more techniques, but I am happy that I am learning and I am doing well so far. I am really passionate in what I do and I just love dancing and I would do give up anything for it. This I Believe: You should do what you love to do.