Sara - Heber City, Utah

Have you ever lost friends just because of your appearance? Have you ever gained friends because of your appearance? Well now think back to elementary school, when your appearance didn’t matter and think about how you were friends with everyone. Imagine if the entire world was like that and no one was judged based on their appearance, no one was judged based on their race or their music and clothing preference. Do you like what you see? I know I do. So are we still waiting for each other to stick up for other and stand up for what we believe in and still be respected for it? I believe we are.

I go to school everyday and look at my friends and wonder why I’m not friends with any of the other kids. Well I recently realized that its because I don’t look like them and that based on their appearance, I honestly refuse to be friends with them. I know that they are all really amazing people with amazing minds. I know that they all have a lot to say but they don’t get the chance to say it. They don’t get the chance to gain respect. But I want respect from my ‘friends’ and I don’t want to be embarrassed if I talk to that dorky kid that always walks down the hall and says hi to me. It’s sad how I try to say that that is a bad thing but it’s true how I am one of the people who don’t give these people the time and respect they need.

I wonder every time I walk through the hallways if I will ever look at these people the same. I wonder if I will ever talk to these people and be friends with them. I believe I have the power and the sense of morality to treat these people right. It’s what I was taught and it’s what I will teach. I owe it to others and I believe it isn’t right to judge others based on there appearance.